When it comes to owning your own domain name, security and privacy are not just concerns, but also great opportunities to protect your online presence and build trust and credibility with your customers. There are many elements to consider when it comes to security and privacy, but fortunately, domain registrars and registries often ensure that most elements are covered and make it easy for domain owners to protect their domains.
Here are some of the ways that domain registrars and registries often help with security and privacy for domain name owners:
- Domain Name System (DNS) Security: Registrars and registries often provide built-in security features for DNS, such as DNSSEC (DNS Security Extensions) to prevent DNS cache poisoning, and monitoring for any signs of tampering or malicious activity.
- Domain Name Server (DNS) Privacy: Some registrars and registries offer DNS over HTTPS (DoH) or DNS over TLS (DoT) which encrypt the DNS queries and ensure that the queries cannot be intercepted and read by third parties.
- Registrar Security: Reputable registrars take measures to protect your personal and billing information, and often have a good track record for security.
- SSL/TLS Certificates: Many registrars offer SSL/TLS certificates as a service, which will secure the communication between your website and your visitors’ web browsers, and protect your visitors’ personal information and improve your website’s SEO.
- Whois Privacy: Whois privacy protection service is often offered by registrars, which will keep your personal information private by substituting it with the information of a proxy service.
- Email Security: Some registrars offer email security features like encryption, SPF (Sender Policy Framework), and DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) to prevent spoofing and phishing.
- Software and systems updates: Some registrars also provide assistance for updating your website’s CMS and third-party scripts, which protect against known vulnerabilities and malware.
- Regular monitoring and auditing: Many registrars also offer monitoring and auditing services
Not all registrars offer the same level of security and privacy features, so it is important to investigate which features you need or want for your domain name.
For example, some registrars may only offer basic security features, while others may offer a full suite of security and privacy features. Additionally, some registrars may offer a low-cost service but may not offer additional features, while others may offer a more expensive service but with a wider range of features.
It’s also worth considering if you want a registrar that has customer support available 24/7, or if you’re comfortable with a self-service platform.
Our network of registrar partners is extensive, and the chances of finding the correct fit for your domain is high. We are confident that with our partners, you will be able to select the registrar that best meets your demands and budget.